The Benefits of Cereal
We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But did you know that cereal ranks as one of the best choices for breakfast? 1
Made with wholesome grains, Kellogg’s cereals help your family start the morning with energy by delivering a number of vital, take-on-the-day nutrients — nutrients that many of us, especially children, otherwise might miss.2, 3, 4
And cereal with milk is a leading source of 10 nutrients in children’s diets5 — bringing essential vitamins such as A, B6, B12 and D to your breakfast table each morning.
Plus, cereal is also lower in sodium and sugar than many popular breakfast options.6 In fact, sugar in cereals — including kids cereals — contributes less than 5 percent of daily sugar intake,5 yet it adds taste, texture and enjoyment that help the consumption of important nutrients.
So with a typically low-fat, cholesterol-free, vitamin-rich serving of delicious Kellogg’s cereal, you can provide your family with a nutritious and happy start to the day.
- Breakfast in America Survey, 2011
- Cho S, Dietrich M, Brown CJ, Clark CA, Block G. The effect of breakfast on total daily energy intake and body mass intake: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Am Coll Nutr. 2003;22:296-302.
- Matthews R. Importance of breakfast to cognitive performance and health. Perspectives in Applied Nutrition, 1996;3(3):204-212.
- Preziosi P, Galan P, Deheeger M, Yacoub N, Drewnowski A, Hercberg S. Breakfast type, daily nutrient intakes and vitamin and mineral status of French children, adolescents and adults. J Am Coll Nur. 1999;18:171-78.
- NHANES, 2003-2006
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2009. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 22. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page, http://www.ars.usda.gov/nutrientdata.